Welcome to the website for the Galway Walking Club.
For people who are interested to join the club – please feel free to come along to our next meeting – details are below. Otherwise please have a look at the Joining the Club/Visitors Page and Walks Page which sets out our schedule for the year. Alternatively you can email our Secretary at email@example.com
Next Club Meeting: Thursday April 30th 2015 at 8.30pm in Tonerys Bar, Bohermore. All are welcome. People who are interested to join can come along and have a chat with club members on the night. Note – the annual Table Quiz will be held after the meeting.
Next GWC Walks (see walks section for more details)
- Ramble: May Bank Holiday trip to Dromahair.
- Short Walk: Sunday April 26th – Cross East area, leader Monica Quinn
- A Hillwalk: Sunday April 26th – Ben Creggan/Ben Gorm, leader Denis Healy
- B Hill Walk: Sunday April 26th – Benbaun, leader Loretta Needham
UPCOMING EVENTS IN THE GWC
Foreign Trip 2015 for Walking Club Members: Details for the trip abroad are now available. Destination is Sardinia and the booking form and details are here. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TRIP IS NOW FULL.
May Bank Holiday – Dromahair in Co.Leitrim. See CLUB ACTIVITIES PAGE/Weekends Away Page for information on accommodation and Walks.
Annual Club BBQ – Friday 26th June, Radisson Blu Hotel, Galway. More details later.
- NEW HILLWALK CATERGORY: C HILLWALKS: INTRODUCTION TO HILLWALKS for Club Members: For Members who would like to try out a Hillwalk but don’t yet feel ready to go out on the B Hillwalks. Next walk :- TBC
Galway Walking Club Annual Marathon and Half Marathon 2015
The registration brochure for the Annual Marathon and Half Marathon is now available for those wishing to participate in the marathon:
The marathon will take place on Saturday 08th August 2015.
- Pre-registration is required for both the Full and the Half Marathon. The registration fee for the full marathon and half marathon is €30.
- The registration form is available at the link below – Registration form for the Galway Walking Club 19th Annual Marathon and Half Marathon.
CAMINO – Portugese Way June 2015. Details below:-
– Monday June 8th: Leave Dublin on Ryanair 15.50 flight Arrive in Porto at 18.15. Pick up a map of the city while in the airport. The metro (Line E – violet Line) leaves airport every 30 minutes and takes 35 minutes to the Train Station – Estadio Du Drago – in the City Centre. Tickets approx €2.00.
– Tuesday June 9th: Time for sightseeing in Porto. Travel to by bus (approx 2.5 hours)to Valencia (precise time to be advised) on the Spanish border. Tickets are €12.00 and can be bought on-line one month in advance at http://www.rede-expressos.pt . Bus leaves from Garagem Station @ the following times 11.00am, 11.30am, 17.00pm, 19.00pm and 21.00pm.
– Wednesday June 10th: Start walking From Valencia/Tui to Porrino 16.1kms. You can pick up the Camino markers as you cross the Bridge from Valencia into Tui. You are now in Spain and the time is one hour ahead. They are two nice little towns and worth having a look around before walking.
– Thursday June 11th: Porrino to Rodendela – 15kms
– Friday June 12th: Rodendela to Pontevedra – 18.2kms
– Saturday June 13th: Rest Day (optional).
– Sunday June 14th: Pontevedra to Calsdas De Reis – 23kms
– Monday June 15th: Caldas De Reis to Padron – 18.1kms
– Tuesday June 16th: Padron to Santiago 24.9kms
TOTAL = 115.4KMS
Aer Lingus return flights to Dublin on Tuesday 16th , Thursday 18th and Saturday 20th June. Leaving Santiago @ 16.15pm and arriving in Dublin @ 17.20pm. There is a shuttle bus to the airport every 20 minutes.
People who are interested in going will need to organise their own travel and accommodation. They should also have travel insurance and an EHI Card.
There will be a meeting about the trip on March 19th and May 14th to discuss the trip further. If you require more details please contact Matt Flesk directly 087 284 2367