Welcome to the website for the Galway Walking Club.
For people who are interested to join the club – please feel free to come along to our next meeting – details are below. Otherwise please have a look at the Joining the Club/Visitors Page and Walks Page which sets out our schedule for the year. Alternatively you can email our Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Club Meeting: Thursday March 5th 2015 at 8.30pm in Tonerys Bar, Bohermore. All are welcome. People who are interested to join can come along and have a chat with club members on the night.
Next GWC Walks (see walks section for more details)
- Ramble: Sunday March 8th 2015 – Caher Loop Walk – Fanore.
- Short Walk: Sunday March 15th – Cloonboo/Annaghdown Area
- A Hillwalk: Sunday March 15th – Leenane Hill
- B Hill Walk: Sunday March 15th - Knocknahillion/Letterbreckaun
UPCOMING EVENTS IN THE GWC
Foreign Trip 2015: Details for the trip abroad are now available. Destination is Sardinia and the booking form and details are here.
May Bank Holiday – Please note that the destination has changed to Dromahair in Co.Leitrim. See CLUB ACTIVITIES PAGE/Weekends Away Page for information on accommodation.
Thursday April 16th: Annual Quiz after the club meeting
Thursday March 5th: Cheese and Wine evening after the Club Meeting.
- NEW HILLWALK CATERGORY: C HILLWALKS: INTRODUCTION TO HILLWALKS: For Members who would like to try out a Hillwalk but don’t yet feel ready to go out on the B Hillwalks Aine Holland has kindly offered to lead some C Hillwalks on the following dates:- Saturday March 14th, Saturday March 21st and Saturday March 28th. Meeting place/car parking is the carpark at Arabica/Aquarium at 10.30am. The usual rules on car pooling petrol money apply. The weather will dictate what hills are done but possibities are Cashel, Lissoughter, Tully, Lackavrea, Diamond Hill, Ben Lettrey. Each hill will take approx 2.5 – 3 hours but pace will be dictated by the slowest walker in the group. However please note that all the hills will be rugged and slippy/wet and only walkers who are comfortable with that type of terrain on the rambles should attempt it. Walkers will need their usual waterproof gear, 2 poles if possible and fully waterproof boots – no shoes!!! Gaiters really help to keep your lower leg and boots somewhat dry.
Climb of Croagh Patrick on Good Friday
This is specifically for people who have not climbed Croagh Patrick before. Everyone else more than welcome but the pace will be at the level of the slowest climber.We meet at Murrisk at 11.30, we climb up the tourist route, we descend the non tourist route to Lecanvey. More information contact Jerry Lalor on 087 215 3689.
MOUNTAINEERING IRELAND SPRING GATHERING: Friday March 6th to Sunday March 8th – will be hosted by the Westport Hillwalkers. See the website for further details: http://www.mountaineering.ie
Women with Altitude
Venue: Killarney, Co. Kerry
Women With Altitude comes to Kerry in April 2015. We will be basing ourselves just outside Killarney town centre for a long weekend of skills development courses and workshops. With such a great choice of walking, scrambling and climbing areas in Kerry, we are looking forward to an action packed weekend.
Full details of the programme of events and accommodation will be available on www.womenwithaltitude.ie
CAMINO – Portugese Way June 2015. Details below:-
- Monday June 8th: Leave Dublin on Ryanair 15.50 flight Arrive in Porto at 18.15. Pick up a map of the city while in the airport. The metro (Line E – violet Line) leaves airport every 30 minutes and takes 35 minutes to the Train Station – Estadio Du Drago – in the City Centre. Tickets approx €2.00.
- Tuesday June 9th: Time for sightseeing in Porto. Travel to by bus (approx 2.5 hours)to Valencia (precise time to be advised) on the Spanish border. Tickets are €12.00 and can be bought on-line one month in advance at http://www.rede-expressos.pt . Bus leaves from Garagem Station @ the following times 11.00am, 11.30am, 17.00pm, 19.00pm and 21.00pm.
- Wednesday June 10th: Start walking From Valencia/Tui to Porrino 16.1kms. You can pick up the Camino markers as you cross the Bridge from Valencia into Tui. You are now in Spain and the time is one hour ahead. They are two nice little towns and worth having a look around before walking.
- Thursday June 11th: Porrino to Rodendela – 15kms
- Friday June 12th: Rodendela to Pontevedra – 18.2kms
- Saturday June 13th: Rest Day (optional).
- Sunday June 14th: Pontevedra to Calsdas De Reis – 23kms
- Monday June 15th: Caldas De Reis to Padron – 18.1kms
- Tuesday June 16th: Padron to Santiago 24.9kms
TOTAL = 115.4KMS
Aer Lingus return flights to Dublin on Tuesday 16th , Thursday 18th and Saturday 20th June. Leaving Santiago @ 16.15pm and arriving in Dublin @ 17.20pm. There is a shuttle bus to the airport every 20 minutes.
People who are interested in going will need to organise their own travel and accommodation. They should also have travel insurance and an EHI Card.
There will be a meeting about the trip on March 19th and May 14th to discuss the trip further. If you require more details please contact Matt Flesk directly 087 284 2367