Next Club Meeting: Thursday October 30th AGM in Pillo Hotel at 7.30pm
Next Walks (see walks section for more details)
- Sunday October 19th Ramble - Assleagh Falls. We leave the Omniplex at 10am drive to Leenane turn right in leenane we make a quick regroup in the big car park on your left.
- Sunday October 26th Short Walk – TBC
- Sunday October 26th A & B Hillwalk – Northern Turks (9.15am at Omniplex for 9.30 departure)
NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE OF AGM:
Club AGM – Thursday October 30th 2014 at 7.30pm in The Pillo Hotel. All members and potential members are welcome. Membership can be renewed on the evening.
There are a number of vacancies on the Committe so any member who would like to give something back to a club that gives a lot to its members is very welcome to put themselves forward for nomination. If you have any queries on it beforehand please feel free to send an email to the club.
The Club would like to offer sincere condolences to Eileen Letsome on the recent death of her brother Noel Burke. Reposing at home in Costelloe Road, Shantalla on Saturday, 18th October, 2014 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Removal on Sunday, 19th October to St. Joseph’s Church, Presentation Road to arrive for Requiem Mass at 12 noon. House Private on Sunday morning. No Flowers by request. Private Cremation to follow.
GWC Members Christmas Social on Saturday December 6th will be in Breaffy Woods Hotel, Breaffy, Co Mayo. Phone Number 094 904 4100.
- 1 night B & B and Christmas social is €69.00pp and for 2 nights (Friday December 5th and Saturday December 6th) and Christmas social is €89.00pp. Single supplement is €10.00 per night.
- Wnaff (Why Not? Adventure Film Festival)Why Not? Adventure Film Festival will return this October with brand new exciting adventure films. Award winning Adventure Films and Irish Premieres from all over the world will be brought to you in Castlebar and Galway! Be ready to set sail to the Arctic, stand on the top of rugged high peaks and get stuck with adventurers deep in the heart of canyons with our selection of films ready to keep you on the edge of your seats and take you further than our little island. This year, a windsurf champion, a big wave surfer, around the world unsupported travellers and the crew of a Greenland expedition will be joining us for the launchSee more at: http://www.whynotadventurefilmfestival.com/news.html#sthash.JDxMOBse.dpuf
- MOUNTAIN SKILLS 1 AND 2 TRAININGWILD. are accredited Mountain Skills providers with Mountaineering Ireland.DATES FOR BOS MOUNTAIN SKILLS TRAINING COURSES:
25/10/2014 26/10/2014 Mountain Skills Training 1 Connemara, Co Galway October 27/09/2014 28/09/2014 Mountain Skills Training 2 Connemara, Co Galway September 20/09/2014 21/09/2014 Mountain Skills Training 1 Wicklow September 08/11/2014 09/11/2014 Mountain Skills Training 2 Connemara, Co Galway November 18/10/2014 19/10/2014 Mountain Skills Training 1 Wicklow October 11/10/2014 12/10/2014 Mountain Skills Training 2 Connemara, Co Galway October 22/11/2014 23/11/2014 Mountain Skills Training 1 Connemara, Co Galway November
(Dates can also be scheduled for week days to accommodate groups)
MS training is divided into three blocks, MS1, MS2 and MS Assessment. MS1 and MS2 are the basic training blocks covering all aspects of hillwalking that the candidate will require to become a self sufficient hill user.
MS1: This course includes map-reading and simple navigation techniques, recognition of natural features, distance measurement and timing of walks. Mountain hazards are also covered, as is personal equipment such as correct clothing and emergency equipment.
MS2: This course builds on MS1. It covers the use of a compass, route-planning and the preparation of route cards, night navigation, scrambling, mountain rescue and emergency procedures.
MS1 and MS2 are generally run over two-day periods and comprise a mixture of indoor informal lectures/discussions and outdoor practical sessions. The ratio for MS1 and MS2 is one instructor to six candidates.
MS1 Cost: €120pp
MS2 Cost: €140pp
Group discount available for 3 or more people.
For further details on course and recommended accommodation please contact;
PHONE: 0876151931 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org –
If you would like to share photos from a club walk please send the photos to the club email address and we will post them on the club Flickr page. Click here for photos from recent walks.